Thursday, November 25, 2010

New Traditions and Comforting Memories

As it turns out, cancelling our Thanksgiving was the right decision. While the weather has calmed considerably in the city, the roads to Salish are still a mess and the snow is still coming down at higher elevations. It would have been a beautiful dinner with the snow and the waterfall, but we can't be entirely certain we would have made it to that beautiful dinner.

Since our plans changed, we spent the whole day at home. We'll go out to dinner in a couple hours, but it likely won't involve turkey or stuffing. Normally this combination is something I would really enjoy. Today, though, I admit the extra time at home left me susceptible to a little homesickness and nostalgia. I remember why I wanted to stay busy today.

I'm thankful for a lot of things this Thanksgiving including the many big family Thanksgivings I've had over the years. I imagine they had the same lovely meal we've had so many years before. My Aunt Linda is always in charge of the turkey, my Aunt Julia, the stuffing. My mom contributes a lot of wonderful dishes, but it's her mashed potatoes and her rolls I miss most today.

Happy Thanksgiving. May you be grateful for the joys of today and take time to enjoy favorite memories.

"Forever on Thanksgiving Day, The heart will find the pathway home."
~Wilbur D. Nesbit

1 comment:

  1. Glad you didn't drive in the dangerous weather. Keep up the blog!! Miss and love you guys.
    -Ash and Indie

    ReplyDelete