Sunday, January 9, 2011

You Can't Be Sad Eating Ice Cream {Molly Moon's Homeade Ice Cream}


I've been on a quest for ice cream for weeks... literally weeks. Specifically, I've been on a quest for Molly Moon's Homeade Ice Cream. It just hasn't worked out, though. B is sick of hearing me talk about wanting ice cream. He hasn't said it. I just know. Even I was a little sick of hearing me talk about ice cream, but once I'm fixated on my favorite food group (yes, it is a food group), there's no turning it off until the craving is satiated.

Today was a strange day. After the high of yesterday's football game (despite the hiccup at the end), today felt a little dull. I've also been itching to get some super early Spring cleaning and organizing done, but with being sick over the holidays, I didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped. Today I finally got busy cleaning out junk drawers and crusading on my quest to rid the condo of all non-essential or non-creative paper. It felt great to make some progress at home, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Just before dinner time, B came into the bedroom where I was sorting piles of paper into keep, throw or shred and asked if I wanted to go for ice cream after dinner. I thought about it and then said no. There was just too much work to be done before the week starts. Perhaps B was just that sick of hearing me talk about ice cream, but I think he just knew how badly I needed a break because he talked me into venturing onto Capitol Hill to Molly Moon's.

The first thing I noticed as we drove by looking for parking was just how bright the shop was on the dark street and how busy they obviously were inside. As we walked up to the door, it became increasingly clear we weren't the only ones needing an ice cream break before the new week really starts. On a summer night, the line at Molly Moon's wraps around the street corner. This is one reason I've never been there before. On this frigid Sunday night, the line was contained, but a seat was still hard to come by. I couldn't choose just one flavor and couldn't have all eight I wanted to try, so I settled on Salted Caramel and Mint Fudge. B's a milkshake guy, so he went with the Vivace Coffee Milkshake.


While he was waiting for his milkshake, I found two hidden, but awesome seats right behind the waffle maker. After sitting with that smell for awhile, one thing is certain. Next time, I will have a waffle cone. I'm pretty sure we had the best seats in the house. Sitting there, eating our ice cream, listening to Elvis and watching the line grow, I felt fantastic. Maybe that's why people, or only women in the world of cinematic stereotypes, drown their sorrows in a pint of Ben and Jerry's (ice cream sacrilege compared to this stuff). I'm pretty sure it's psychologically impossible to feel bad eating ice cream... especially this ice cream. Combine Molly Moon's with the gorgeous new Elliott Bay Book Co. location and the corner of Pine and 10th might just be my new happy place.

Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!!
    Ice cream isn't just a "girl thing" either. I'll vouch for it's healing powers any day. :)

    ReplyDelete