Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gratitude {Marjorie}

It's no secret that I'm a Marjorie fan girl. It isn't without reason, though. I was reminded enough of those reasons tonight to merit a second post for the day.

We've had a few not-so-great dining experiences lately. We've also had some really, really good experiences. I don't mean to downplay those, but we just haven't been on a roll. One of the biggest challenges of Thursday Night Bites is the risk we take with our time and money choosing a new restaurant every week. I don't mind spending money on a great meal. It's frustrating to continually make a disappointing investment, though.
Our visit to Marjorie tonight erased all traces of our less than stellar experiences over the past few weeks. It sounds silly and a bit dramatic, especially since we don't visit Marjorie all that often (an issue we should correct), but it just feels like home. Perhaps I'm feeling a little nostalgic right now. Thanks to the awesome weather we've had this week, B and I made the decision to cancel our Thanksgiving at Salish and I've been feeling pretty bummed about that.

B and I have a bit of a difference of opinion about the holidays. I favor Thanksgiving, but I don't really enjoy Christmas. B is quite the opposite. Maybe it's because my birthday is so close to Christmas, maybe it's because I spent too many ugly years in retail, maybe it's because it seems like Christmas stirs up drama, but I'm not a fan.

B and I made a mutual decision not to travel for the holidays this year and I know it was the right decision, but as tomorrow grows closer, I can't help but feel a little sad watching the holiday season kick off without our families to celebrate with. I really miss my family. Though tonight's dinner wasn't a Thanksgiving dinner, our meal encompassed many of the aspects a great holiday meal should. It was warm, familiar, delicious and comforting. It made me feel better. It made me feel wonderful.

Our meal was beyond incredible, as usual, but in the interest of honoring my commitment not to write too much about restaurants I've written about in the past, I'll just share a few photos of the beautiful Marjorie space. I'm in love with their beautiful new curtains made by their lovely owner, Donna. She also shared some great tips for making them. I'm looking forward to trying them out for our bedroom.

We have so much to be grateful for in life. Truly.

Marjorie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment